10.23.2009

RICHARD SEXTON: CHARLESTON TO SAVANNAH


WORDS FROM THE PHOTOGRAPHER:

Shortly after I moved back to the South from San Francisco in 1991 I began photographing the natural landscape. I was intrigued by the low, flat, moss-draped landscape and landscapes became an important counterpoint to my photographs of the built environment, which focused on the mutated, scarred state of the historic architecture in places like New Orleans, where I live. For fifteen years my landscape focus was the gulf coast from Louisiana to the Florida panhandle. Very recently I expanded that focus to include the Lowcountry of South Carolina and the Sea Islands of Georgia. I grew up in a small town in southwest Georgia and I remembered the Georgia coast vividly from my youth. As I rediscovered this region in contemporary times, I appreciated the fact it hadn't changed quite as much as the gulf coast of Florida, which has seen rampant real estate development in recent years. The new work from South Carolina and Georgia builds on what I started with the gulf coast, and as with my gulf coast work, I'm focusing both on historic sites and buildings, as well as the marshlands and live oaks of the natural landscape.




No comments:

Post a Comment